Google’s Play Store sees drop in app numbers

In recent years, Google has implemented stricter regulations on its Play Store, resulting in a significant reduction in the number of available apps, according to a report released on Monday.
Google Play StoreData from CasinosEnLigne.com revealed that the total number of apps on Google Play has decreased by 360,000 over the past three years, reaching a total of 2.59 million in June.

While the decrease is partly attributed to the removal of low-quality apps, these apps still make up 37 percent of the available selection on the Play Store. Statistics from Statista and AppBrain indicate that three years ago, Android users had a choice of 2.95 million apps. By the end of 2021, that number had dropped to 2.7 million, continuing its downward trend.

As of January 2022, the number of available apps on Google Play stood at 2.64 million, representing a significant drop of 260,000 apps over two years. Although the total number of apps saw a slight increase to 2.65 million by mid-2022, it dropped again by 60,000 in the past year. Currently, Android users can choose from 2.59 million available apps, a decrease of 12 percent compared to three years ago.

Of the total number of apps, regular apps constitute 63 percent, while low-quality apps still account for the remaining 37 percent. However, the report noted that the number of low-quality apps has decreased over the past year, thanks to Google’s efforts to protect users from such applications and make it easier to discover high-quality apps.

In addition to the decline in available apps, the report highlighted that Google’s Android market share has reached its lowest point in seven years. Meanwhile, Apple’s iOS, as Android’s closest rival, has experienced a 1 percent increase in market share over the past three years, reaching 28.44 percent in the second quarter of 2023.

The analysis of Google’s tighter regulations on its Play Store and the subsequent decrease in the number of available apps reveals some notable trends and implications.

Firstly, the report shows that the total number of apps on Google Play has declined by 360,000 over the past three years, reaching its lowest point in years at 2.59 million in June. This significant drop can be attributed to Google’s efforts to regulate and remove low-quality apps from its platform. Although low-quality apps have decreased, they still occupy a 37 percent share on the Play Store.

The decline in app numbers is evident when comparing the data from three years ago, where Android users had a choice of 2.95 million apps, to the current figure of 2.59 million. This downward trend continued throughout the years, with the number dropping to 2.7 million by the end of 2021 and further decreasing to 2.64 million in January 2022, representing a drop of 260,000 apps over two years. Although there was a slight increase to 2.65 million by mid-2022, it decreased again by 60,000 in the past year.

While the reduction in available apps can be seen as a positive outcome in terms of eliminating low-quality apps, it also presents challenges for Android users who now have a smaller selection to choose from. Compared to three years ago, the current number of available apps is 12 percent less.

Interestingly, the report highlights that regular apps make up 63 percent of the available apps, while the remaining 37 percent consists of low-quality apps. Despite their decreasing numbers, it is evident that efforts are still needed to further reduce the presence of low-quality apps on the Play Store.

Google’s dedication to protecting Android users from low-quality apps is reflected in their initiatives. The introduction of a new monitoring system has contributed to the decrease in the number of low-quality apps listed on the Play Store, dropping from nearly 983,000 in June last year to around 947,000 eight months later.

Aside from the decline in app numbers, the report also notes a drop in Google’s Android market share to its lowest point in seven years. This indicates a challenging landscape for Google in terms of maintaining its dominance in the Android ecosystem. Conversely, Apple’s iOS, as Android’s closest competitor, has experienced a 1 percent increase in market share over the past three years, reaching 28.44 percent in Q2 2023.

In conclusion, Google’s stricter regulations on the Play Store have resulted in a significant decrease in the number of available apps, particularly the removal of low-quality apps. While this is a positive step toward improving the overall quality and user experience on the platform, it presents a challenge for Android users who now have a smaller selection of apps to choose from.

Related News

Latest News

Latest News